Santa Barbara, California
1.9K views 4 comments

Have a new house built in 2010 with 40 Marvin casement style, metal clad, wood windows with retractable screens; 4 metal clad wood sliding doors with low profile sills; and 4 single and 2 double French doors.The window hardware rubs the wood when opening and closing, the windows need constant hardware adjustment in order to open and lock shut, and the retractable screen mechanism fails frequently leaving ugly screens hanging inside the house.

Related: Marvin Windows And Doors - Windows leak air like they aren't even there!

The windows do not slide open to allow cleaning the outside without applying silicone spray along the metal track, and the rubber screen keepers come loose from the wood leaving a large gap and exposed edges. When the wind blows, cold air comes in around the inside of the window frames. The ten and twelve foot metal clad, wood sliding doors leak water into the bottom track when it rains and cause damage to draperies... According to Marvin this is normal and the water should drain out eventually; it does not.

The rubber weatherstrip along the multi-panel sliding doors comes out of its track making them hard to move and allowing wind and water inside. The only way to fix weatherstrip is to remove the door and reattach it. Unfortunately it just comes out again in a few months. The fancy door locks stop working, the hook part that catches falls inside the door; the handle has to be removed and re-installed to fix the lock.

I have one lock that has been fixed four times. All of my metal clad sliding doors have split joints and leak air around the edges. Marvin serviced the windows and doors several times when they were new. Now that they are literally coming apart, they volunteer to send the parts out for free; unfortunately the labor cost is the expensive part of the repair.

I would never buy Marvin again; my windows and doors were supposed to be some of their best products. There is no way to clean the retractable screens because they are not held in the frame securely enough to vacuum and can't be removed to wash.

My recommendation, save yourself a lot of misery and buy Anderson or some other brand.Marvin products are poorly designed and built.

Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / $90000
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Marvin Windows And Doors?

Comments

VERY disappointed with Marvin
Santa Barbara, California, United States #694815

I too have installed Marvin metal clad wood casement and double hung windows.I have been experiencing several issues with them and since it has been more than two years they will only send parts and I pay for the repairman.

It has been a few months and they still have not even sent me all the parts that are needed to fix them. Maybe check out Pella .

Lafayette, California, United States #684661

I am currently having problems with the retracting screen on a Marvin casement window. It will not retract and the fabric has come out of the edge slots. I have contacted the company that sold the Marvin window to us, but have not had any response yet.

griz
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States #681466

Sounds like an Andersen rep.

Repair Person
Fair Oaks, California, United States #630439

Have you tried contacting the distributor in your area to get the windows serviced? Did they turn you down?